Off Like a Dirty Shirt

Monday, February 19, 2007

Hello all!

Today is my last day in Auckland. Its a nice city and all, but if you're ever in this part of the world, I would say that you really only need a few days here. Since I've been here I have hit up the art gallery, the museum, and the maritime museum.

The art gallery was pretty cool, and it was free, which is always nice.

The regular museum is a $5 donation, but they had a special exhibit about Pacific Ocean navigation that sounded cool, plus a performance by a Maori cultural group that I wanted to see. So that ended up being $30. The museum was pretty interesting, with lots of interesting exhibits about the human and natural histories of New Zealand. The special exhibit was about how Pacific Islanders navigated all through the Pacific thousands of years before Europeans did it, and that was vaguely interesting, if not worth $15. The performance by the Maori group was really cool, though. Its seems like a really interesting culture, and the way they've mostly held their own with the European New Zealanders is really remarkable. I'm hoping to learn more about them on this trip.

The maritime museum was also rather pricey, at $16. And, I might add, totally not worth it. The only cool thing was the re-creation of a steerage compartment from a boat, that actually rocked. Like you were in a real boat! But not worth $16.

Since then I've just been hanging around here in town, trying to organize the rest of my trip here. So far, the plan is thus: me and Ryan (American) and PK (Norwegian) are renting a station wagon for three weeks. We will stay mostly in campsites, with me and PK sleeping in the back of the car (fold down seats), and Ryan sleeping in his one man tent. We'll head to the northern tip of the North Island (where I am now), and then make our way down to the rest of the island. After two weeks, we'll drop PK off in Wellington, where he'll take the ferry to the South Island, where he plans to do the second tallest bungee jump in the world (220 meters!). Me and Ryan will continue up to Auckland, where we'll part ways. He's heading to the South Island (once he gets back here to pick up his bike), and I'm meeting up with my friend Krista, and her boyfriend Stephan. You may remember Krista from such adventures as: November! I'm hoping we can hang out for two weeks, and then I have to head back to Australia.

I'm thinking that what with camping and all, there probably won't be a ton of email checking going on, so I hope everyone stays well!

2 Comments:

  • dude! i'm so bummed that i missed your phone call!

    as you know, i am never home. but, i will make sure i stay home one night and i will try to give you a ring at some point.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:10 PM  

  • dude!

    someone talked ali into camping? i am impressed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home