Off Like a Dirty Shirt

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Wow, so after the longest trip EVER I am finally here in Australia. I started off by spending 6 hours in the Vancouver airport (plane was delayed), and then got on the biggest plane I've ever been on in my life. There were two floors! Although it was not nearly as cool as the plane on Snakes on a Plane, it was still pretty exciting. In a I'm going to stay on the lower, crowded like a sardine can coach class floor kind of way. Anyways, not only was the plane huge, it also featured six babies. Which means that for 13 hours, there was at least one baby crying at all times. Yay!

My stopover in Hong Kong was super short, just long enough to run to the other end of the airport, and notice that the airport is not airconditioned (what is up with that?).

After nine hours, I got to Sydney, and shockingly hoped onto a shuttle bus and arrived directly at my hostel WITHOUT GETTING LOST. I have never done that before. Seriously, I always get lost.

Anyways, I checked into my hostel (which advertised that they take credit cards and have a free breakfast, when in fact, they do not!) showered, and went to bed. After sleeping for twelve hours, I got up and headed out into the city.

I walked from my hostel to Central Quay, which is sort of a transportation/tourist hub here. I should note that this route goes through a pretty amazing shopping district, and I didn't buy anything!!

Anyways, I wandered around Central Quay for a while, checking out the amazing views, and then went to the Museum of Contemporary Art. Which was free! Like most contemporary art museums, I found it to be a mix of really cool stuff, and really stupid stuff. Apprarently placing a chocolate bar in a bucket of water is art that references the movie Caddyshack. Yes, that's right, art that references Caddyshack. Jesus.

After that I bought a ticket for one of those hop on hop off city tours, and got an idea of what I want to see while I'm here. Which is mostly museums, 'cause I'm a big nerd like that.

Now I'm going to go back to my hostel and see about maybe meeting some people (everyone in my room was asleep when I left this morning) and re-charging my ipod.

I think I've decided that a week-ish is probably enough for me here in Sydney. I'm going to try and find someplace along the coast that's a bit smaller and more laid back and maybe try surfing or snorkelling or something.

Until next time...

3 Comments:

  • hey al. i am so glad you made it there safely. thinking of you lots, and wishing i was there with you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:33 AM  

  • Welcome to Australia, bookstoregirl!

    I hope you enjoy your stay, and find it everything you imagined, and more.

    BTW, I don't know what your plans are, but if you are of a cultural bent, may I recommend spending time in Melbourne? It is not shallow and glitzy like Sydney, but I will admit it is an acquired taste.

    PS. In case you were wondering, I found this blog by clicking the random 'next blog' link on a mate's site...

    By Blogger leccy, at 10:51 AM  

  • Robyn, I also wish you were here. You would totally dig it here.

    HDZ, thanks for the advice, but don't worry, I am totally coming to Melbourne. Just not sure when!

    By Blogger bookstore girl, at 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home